Monday, June 25, 2012

DO I WANT TO BE ON TOP OR ON THE BOTTOM?

I’ve discovered that there’s a major decision to be made each day when I check into our hotel.  If it’s one of those cute old-fashioned middle-of-the-country motels with only one story, then it’s a moot point.  But if it’s got even one more story, I’m faced with a conundrum worthy of Solomon.

Do I want peace and quiet, or peace of mind?
In other words, do I want to stay on the top floor so there’s no one walking above us, or do I want to stay on the first floor so we’re not walking above anyone?  In the first instance, we have a better chance for an undisturbed night and morning; but I’m faced with the effort to keep my kids from jumping around, bouncing on the beds, leaping from bed-to-bed (a favorite forbidden activity), and being generally elephantine.  It’s exhausting and leads to yelling, so that we’re not only annoying the people below us, but also those on either side.

It’s been ten days on the road, and I have to admit that so far the selfish side of me has won out every time.  After all, once I’ve calmed down my three darlings and gotten them to sleep, the last thing I want is some heavy-footed businessman or, god forbid, a family with kids making noise above us that might wake them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment