Sunday, July 1, 2012

HERDING CATS … ON BICYCLES

The Will Rogers Highway, The Great Diagonal Way, The Main Street of America, The Mother Road.

Whatever you choose to call it, Route 66 is arguably the most legendary piece of pavement in America (apologies to Broadway and Wall Street).  So it came as no surprise that Gene’s excitement at riding its famed blacktop would rub off on the kids.
After rising ridiculously early to backtrack to Ash Fork so Gene wouldn’t miss those 17 miles (see yesterday’s blog), the four of us headed back to our luxurious Motel 6 accommodations (see yesterday’s blog again) with plenty of the time for the Sarah, William and James to have a swim in the indoor pool before donning their Connor’s Army Ride Across America jerseys.

When Gene pulled into the hotel’s parking lot two hours later they all hopped on their bikes and, with various versions of “Get Your Kicks on Route 66” playing in their imaginations, they headed off to live out so many people’s fantasies.
I, of course, drove ahead to chronicle this historic moment in Connor family history.

As I filmed the four of them weaving their way through the morning tourist traffic I almost cried at the amazing memory they’ll have for the rest of their lives.  Then they passed me and all I heard was:
“Stay in a single line.”

“Stop at the stop sign.”
“Don’t ride next to each other.”

“Look before you ride across the street.”
“Single file!”

“Guys, pay attention to the cars.”
And I felt a moment of guilty but gleeful validation as Gene experienced for a half hour or so what I’m going through every day.

You see, there are three of them and there’s only one of me.  Controlling them when they’re excited and want to run off in three different directions is as difficult as keeping three cats in a straight line through a seafood market.  And on this trip they’re excited about something almost every day, so I spend a lot of my time herding cats.
Of course, I’m usually doing it on foot without cars whizzing by within inches of their pedaling legs so he was definitely getting short end of the stick.

I let myself spend a few moments zenning out while listening to my music on the radio, before gathering my kittens and heading off towards our next stop.


For Gene's very different view of the same journey, check out his blog at www.ConnorsArmy.blogspot.com

To learn more about Connor's Army go to www.ConnorsArmy.org

To see exactly why we're doing this go to www.SunriseDayCamp.org

To make a tax deductible donation go to https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056

No comments:

Post a Comment