Tuesday, August 14, 2012

T MINUS TEN AND COUNTING


The final countdown has begun and I’m not all that sure I’m happy about it.

Oh, I’m thrilled at the thought of sleeping in my own bed, of homecooked meals, and of staying in one place more than two nights in a row.  I can’t wait to see our family and our friends and our cat.  But I have to admit I’ve loved these nine weeks of being in our little traveling family bubble.

No place we need to be except the next rendezvous for water.  No baseball or music lessons or yoga class to rush to.  No schedules to juggle.

Just us travelling from one hotel to the next.  From one small town to the next.  From one new experience to the next.

And my fears of family strife after being cooped up in a minivan together for the whole summer?  They never came to fruition.  In fact, I’ve watched my children play harmoniously in the pool for hours.  I’ve marveled at the imaginative games they’ve made up in parks.  I’ve laughed at the zany ways they’ve passed time in the car.

Right before my eyes they’ve become closer and learned the value of family, and especially of siblings.  If nothing else comes of this trip (and so much else already has), then I’d consider it an amazing gift to my family.

I know, though, that returning to the daily routines of school, work, and far too many activities is going to eclipse the few weeks we’ve had of unaccustomed togetherness; and I’m not really sure how, or even if, I can hold onto it.

And so I find myself back in the state of denial I began this whole saga in.  Only then it was denial that the adventure was going to begin.



For Gene's very different view of the same journey, check out his blog at www.ConnorsArmy.blogspot.com
To learn more about Connor's Army go to
www.ConnorsArmy.org
To see exactly why we're doing this go to
www.SunriseDayCamp.org
To make a tax deductible donation go to
https://www.wizevents.com/register/register_add.php?sessid=1809&id=1056

No comments:

Post a Comment